Monday, February 2, 2009

New Barn - Things Are Looking Up!

Well everyone... I moved Tango out of the shit-hole barn I was boarding at...
This after they removed his blanket in -15 windchills, abruptly changed his feed from pellets to 10% sweet for a week that I was away. I mean, come on... I would have paid for a new bag of feed had I known I ran out. I was FURIOUS. What if he had colicked or worse?? Also, he had an empty water bucket at 7pm when I got there at night. Bullshit. And deciding to take random days off with cleaning stalls just because its winter? Hello, you guys know its cold out here. There are no days off in the horse industry...and I know everyone reading this is quite aware of that.
You guys would not believe this place. I bet I could report them and have them easily shut down. Almost immediately.

I went there today and pulled him out of the paddock (if you'd even call it that), put him on the trailer, retrieved my things and left. I didn't warn them of my leaving. Why should I? I have addressed these issues several times and the danger that lies in this facility was becoming elevated.

Tango is now boarded at Kenwood Station Farms in Oneida NY. Its a beautiful place. He gets a 12x12 stall (as it should be), with a window, dutch doors and two water buckets. Beautiful green hay and lots of paddock space. Two fellow OTTB paddock buddies to run with too! I work here in evenings so I am able to work off a good bit of board and am able to monitor him closer. I am just ecstatic things worked out. I am so happy that he can be a real horse and his chances of getting injured (or even killed) are lessened significantly. He seemed happier as soon as he walked off the trailer. It was great. He settled in beautifully. My grandma, aunt & cousin visited us today & met him for the first time. They liked him a lot which is good. Had to remind them he isn't even four years old until May of this year (lol).

So - I shall post some pictures of him in his new happy, healthy home below. :]


He's so small compared to my friend Amber's 17.2hh OTTB Hypnotist (aka Trance). He is a stakes winner and she brought him up with her from South Carolina while she goes to college here. He is adjusting to the cold nicely, lol. But Tango's a baby and he's got quite a bit of growing and filling out ahead of him. I'm optimistic
Tomorrow Amber and I are going to take Trance & Tango for a short ride out back. I'm anticipating some spooking action out of Tango as he's been ridden only in the indoor at the previous barn all winter, lol. Should be interesting with the two freaks together. We'll be putting on our velcro butts tonight, lol.
Sorry for the delay on posting this stuff. This week I ended up in the ER one night after a day of feeling HORRIBLE. Got there and temped 102.5. Can't imagine what I was earlier in the day. I had sore joints/bones, high fever, headache, cough, sore throat. Everything. Tested negative for strep and the flu (after two uncomfortable nasal swabs *cringe*). So I had some unknown viral syndrome. Had vicodin & acetominophen all week and 3 days I couldn't get my temp below 101. I just have an annoying "itchy throat" cough going on. But now I gotta take care of my stupid GPC in my right eye. Follow-up appointment tomorrow morning to see if/when I can wear contacts again (scary).
Enough about me - lol - this is Tango's blog.
I will let everyone know how he does on his inaugural winter ride tomorrow, lol.
-Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Tango is beautiful! Good for you for taking him, and saving him from a race breakdown or a visit to the slaughterhouse. Good luck with him, I look forward to reading about your journey together.:)

    ReplyDelete